Root canals can relieve the pain in a tooth, pain when biting or chewing, or swelling of the gums.
Root Canal Therapy (RCT) is a procedure that is done when a tooth is infected or abscessed. If you are experiencing pain in a tooth or pain when biting or chewing, have a “pimple” or swelling in the gums next to a tooth, suffer severe pain in response to hot or cold liquids or food, or have a tooth that is much darker than the others, you may require a root canal.
• A typical root canal at Sardina Dental takes about an hour and half and can be completed in a single visit.
• Once the diseased tooth has been identified, Dr. Sardina or Dr. Adams will carefully numb the area to make the procedure as comfortable as possible.
(Contrary to rumor, root canals are not painful procedures; rather, people often experience pain before a root canal is completed. The procedure itself is simple and typically painless).
• Once the area is numb, the dentist will clean out the infected inside of the tooth with specialized files. A series of rinses will then be used to ensure that the infected nerves, blood vessels, and bacteria are removed, after which the inside of the tooth is filled in with a rubber material called gutta percha.
• Once your root canal is completed, the area will likely be tender for several days while you are healing. Dr. Adams or Dr. Sardina will discuss what you can expect during the healing process.
• Back teeth that have had root canals require crowns to protect them; please see our crown page for more information!
Avoid the spread of infection and more serious problems with a tooth extraction.
Improve the appearance of your smile with teeth whitening, veneers, dentures, and more.